How To Change Your WordPress Username
This might sounds crazy at first but many of you do feel the same heat when they end up with nothing but having their WordPress username set as “admin” by default. Although the first time when you install WordPress on your server, WordPress CMS do ask you to set your username but many not known well over the idea that not changing will lead to set “admin” at par as a username. While the “admin” username will also offer a welcome space ground for the hackers, it is highly advisable to set your username something different than “admin” as soon as possible for you. There are two ways by which we can perform the act of changing the username which we are going to discuss in the article.
- Login into your WordPress admin panel using your admin account.
- Select the”users” area from your dashboard panel, and click on “Add New User”.
- Fill in the user form and choose “administrator” in the “Role” via drop down menu while also make sure that the password you select have to be a strong one.
- When finished, click on “Add New User”.
- Log in again using your new WordPress admin username.
- Navigate to the “Users” area.
- From the users list tick the box of the previous “admin” username and select ”Delete” from the drop-down menu.
- Next, you will be asked about the articles posted under the previous “admin” username.
- Select the option “attribute all posts and links to:” and select your new administrator password. When ready click “Confirm Deletion”.
- Make sure that the “display name” of your admin user is different from the username, especially if the admin user posts any blog articles.
- Login to your cPanel, scroll down to the databases section and click on phpMyAdmin.
- Select the database in which your blog is hosted in.
- Click on the table wp_users on the left hand side.
- Once done click edit on the username that you want to edit.
- Change the user_login value to whatever you like to have, say, for example you can replace “admin” to “Karan”.
- Hit the Go button and you are done.
- Go back to your site and login with your new username.
Photo Credit: Flickr/Ina Centaur